Saturday, November 21, 2009

College

Just thinking out loud at this point...

After this quarter, I am 50 credits (10 classes) away from graduation. June is two quarters (Winter & Spring) away, so I have two quarters to knock this out. Basic math = 5 classes/quarter. Now, my school dictates that a "full-time student" is 12-18 credits per quarter, i.e. ~3 classes. Highly annoying, since I am not allowed to register for more than three classes, and I'll have to add the others the first day of class for that quarter, severely limiting my options. 

I think I am going to apply online for a local Community College so I can knock out some of those credits via online courses. Being in five classes per quarter while trying to work on WOFT and flying and everything else is a little bit too much, but taking one of those five online will really help offset the workload. The amount of homework isn't the issue; it's sitting in class all that time. Each class is just over two hours long, so it gets a bit tiring. Online courses will really allow me to work at my own pace (i.e. knock it out faster). 

So, it looks as though for Winter quarter, I'll be taking:

Intro to Political Values
Intro to American Politics
International Economics
Media Globalization 
+ 1 Online Class

Spring quarter schedule isn't out yet, but I'll need to take:

PPE (my major) Seminar
Another Economics Course
Elective 1
Elective 2
+ 1 Online Course

I'm also toying with the idea of taking two online courses during Winter quarter (6 classes total) so as to decrease my Spring quarter workload. I suppose if it becomes too much, I can always drop one of them early on, no big deal. Hmm...I'm just glad I decided to knock out my really tough, upper-division classes early on at Reed. Already for Winter quarter I'll be taking three lower-division classes as a result, so that's a relief.

My major is PPE: Politics, Philosophy & Economics with an Economics "Track."

No comments: