Friday, November 13, 2009

Taking the Plunge

Several Updates.

WOFT
I have moved beyond the research stage of the WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) packet, and into action - written up a schedule of deadlines for myself for each stage of the process, and located an awesome recruiter who has so far been helpful and hasn't pulled a lot of the BS that I have been told to look out for. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Been taking practice ASVAB and AFAST tests and studying up on the areas I need to work on. So far, I have been doing pretty well, but want to study more before I go into MEPS and take the real ones. 

Also have set up LASIK pre-op consultations at several Puget Sound LASIK centers to see if I'm a candidate for LASIK, and if so, to figure out which place I trust my eyes with the most. At this point (assuming I'm a candidate), I'm excited to get it done regardless of WOFT. 

Next step: finding out if I'm a candidate for LASIK, clearing my medical files, and seeing if my seasonal allergies are a problem.

I've been thinking about what I'll do if WOFT doesn't work out - if I'm not a LASIK candidate, if I'm not selected in the first two boards, if if if. I'm definitely going to follow through to the utmost, never falter, never quit, but some things are out of my control and I like to have backup plans. Not devoting a ton of brainpower to these at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't mind enlisting as a 68W (Combat Medic) then going for the F6 identifier (Flight Medic), and reapplying to WOFT later. My second option is to turn the WOFT packet into an OCS (Officer Candidate School) packet, and if selected, become an Officer in the Military Police branch and branch transfer to Aviation later in my career. We'll see, I guess. Hopefully I never have to make this choice and WOFT works out well. Either way, I'm hoping to be in Basic Training by September 2010, ideally. 

Flying
I haven't flown since the last time I posted here since my CFI has been so busy, so I went out and bought flight simulator controls and software and have logged a grand total of 6 hours on that so far. It's pretty fun, and a great way to learn the controls without worrying about crashing a real helicopter. I flew from SeaTac to PDX in an hour - that was fun. :P Still figuring out how to hover properly - it's certainly harder than it looks!

School
Just registered for my second-to-last quarter of college this morning - damn it feels good. In order to graduate in June, I have to take four classes per quarter for the next two quarters (overloading) and then I'll have two electives remaining. Apparently I can take these at UW over the summer and still graduate in June, but at this point I think I'd much rather just take them online via a local community college during these next two quarters and be completely and totally done at the end of Spring quarter. Trying to flesh out the details as to how that would work and what classes I can take. GRCC offers a couple online Aviation classes - would be wicked cool if I could take those and have it count for UW credit. We'll see!

On a personal note, I'm mad tired and this coffee ain't workin'. Oh well, tea time!


No comments: